Fatal virus outbreak at sixth Sydney hospital

Fatal COVID-19 outbreaks have now occurred at six Sydney hospitals: Hornsby and Liverpool, as well as Nepean, where five deaths have occurred, Canterbury, where five deaths have occurred, St George, where two patients on the oncology ward died, and Cumberland, where one mental health patient died.

There are 957 COVID-19 cases admitted to hospital in NSW, including 160 people in intensive care.

On Thursday, Premier Gladys Berejiklian warned October would be the worst month for deaths and hospitalisations.

“It’s normally in the second week of illness that people get very sick, so there’s always a lag between when people get diagnosed and when they’re likely to need intensive care or hospitalisation,” she said.

“Obviously, as the rate of vaccination increases … we will see that [hospitalisation] rate come down. A number of people, unfortunately, who have lost their lives have not received any dose of vaccine and I hope that changes.”

On Thursday, the Common Ground homelessness service at Camperdown entered a 14-day lockdown after four tenants tested positive.

Mission Australia, the service’s operator, said the cases and 10 close contacts from the six-storey facility had moved into NSW Health accommodation. Fewer than half of tenants were vaccinated during two pop-up clinics in July and August.

Make the most of your health, relationships, fitness and nutrition with our Live Well newsletter. Get it in your inbox every Monday.


Source link

About shahin tofayel

Check Also

Mostafa Baluch-linked trucking company Kit Bros raided by NSW Police

Mr Kitanovski, of Yowie Bay in southern Sydney, had been of interest to police for …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

//mauchopt.net/4/4419824