“His reckless personal conduct since his diagnosis, the destabilizing effect it’s having on our government, is unconscionable,” Mr. Biden said. “The longer Donald Trump is president, the more reckless he gets.” He delivered his remarks wearing a mask before a drive-in audience in Las Vegas, as supporters honked in approval from their cars.
Later, Mr. Biden, the former vice president, dismissed Mr. Trump’s plans to renew in-person rallies. “Good luck,” he told reporters. “I wouldn’t show up unless you had a mask and were distanced.”
Earlier on Friday, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the country’s leading infectious disease expert, said on CBS Radio that there had been “a super-spreader event in the White House,” referring to the Rose Garden event where many mask-less attendees celebrated Judge Amy Coney Barrett’s nomination to the Supreme Court.
The sparring over the debates seemed likely to drag on.
The Biden campaign has said it would participate in the Oct. 22 debate regardless of the format, although the Democrat’s aides would prefer a town-hall-style event, as the canceled Miami debate was to have been. The Trump campaign is also onboard with the date, but angry at the commission for changing the Oct. 15 event to a virtual form.
In a statement on Friday, Tim Murtaugh, Mr. Trump’s communications director, proposed a debate on Oct. 29 — a date the Biden campaign had already declined — and added, “There’s nothing that says that President Trump and Joe Biden can’t debate together without the overlords at the commission having a say in the matter.”
The Biden campaign, for its part, called it “shameful that Donald Trump ducked the only debate in which the voters get to ask the questions.”