The players were initially told they would be able to continue training in New York under the stricter guidelines, with the possibility of practicing on clay before returning to Europe to play in clay-court tournaments, including the French Open, which begins in Paris on Sept. 27.
But on Friday, Flipkens said on social media that the group had been informed by the Nassau County Department of Public Health that they were no longer permitted to leave their hotel rooms.
“While just last night we got the bad news that we had to stay here until next weekend, at least they told us we still had the same protocols (practice, special gym area, separate room on site),” Flipkens wrote on Instagram. “And now all of the sudden we have to quarantine in the room?”
Djokovic, a former president of the ATP Player Council who just led the creation of a new player group, said he was not happy with the way “the situation with the French players was managed.”
He said he understood that the ATP, WTA and U.S.T.A. did not have the final word on some decisions.
“Sometimes they have to just execute what the department of New York and the City of New York orders them to do, otherwise the tournament might be compromised and canceled,” he said. “It’s not easy. I mean, sometimes I don’t want to be in the skin of people who were in the midst of this. At the same time, players I think are left with very little very information, very little power to express themselves, or fight for their own right to play and travel back home. It’s very, very strange, I must say.”
Mannarino said he only signed the new, stricter protocol on Sunday evening, on the eve of his first-round singles match.
“I didn’t sleep much,” he said after winning it against Lorenzo Sonego. “I am drained mentally.”
But he recovered sufficiently to defeat the American Jack Sock in straight sets in the second round to set up the match with Zverev.